
We got some bad news today - Carlie, our 12 year old Border Collie may have cancer in her bladder. Unfortunately, we can't know for sure if she has cancer unless they do an invasive biopsy and try to remove some of the tumor that showed up in her x-ray, which is all very expensive. The other alternative is to give her a sort of anti-inflammatory steroid that will ease her pain and slow the growth of her tumors. This however, would be like sticking your finger in the dam because the tumors will continue to grow and eventually plug up her bladder, making it impossible to pee, at which point she will have to be put down.
So what to do?? Painful and expensive surgery to give her maybe another year or two? Or ease the pain for as long as possible (probably around 9 months to a year) until she shows symptoms again and needs to be put to sleep. Both alternatives suck - Carlie has been a wonderful dog and the thought of losing her makes me really sad.
On the bright side, I feel like I'm on the mend, so hopefully I won't be sick by the time my first day of work rolls around on March 1st. I don't feel much like blogging today... and the bachelor is on so I'm gonna go. Everybody say a little prayer for Carlie.
So what to do?? Painful and expensive surgery to give her maybe another year or two? Or ease the pain for as long as possible (probably around 9 months to a year) until she shows symptoms again and needs to be put to sleep. Both alternatives suck - Carlie has been a wonderful dog and the thought of losing her makes me really sad.
On the bright side, I feel like I'm on the mend, so hopefully I won't be sick by the time my first day of work rolls around on March 1st. I don't feel much like blogging today... and the bachelor is on so I'm gonna go. Everybody say a little prayer for Carlie.


No comments:
Post a Comment